Vet Tech Training!
Find and get information on the vet tech programs that are right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) represents more than 80,000 veterinary professionals and is responsible for providing accreditation to educational institutions and their veterinary programs. AVMA accredited online veterinary technician programs are the most prestigious programs available. When selecting a school, check to see if it has been accredited by the AVMA.
About AVMA Accreditation
The AVMA sets the standards of quality for veterinary technician programs across the country. To become accredited, an educational institution voluntarily submits to a review of their operations by the AVMA. Once the AVMA has determined that the institution meets all the necessary standards, they receive the stamp of approval, or accreditation. AVMA accredited online veterinary technician programs have also gone through this process of review. The basic standards set by AVMA for veterinary programs includes:
- potential students will be competent enough in their practice to enter into the workplace and be prepared for credentialing and/or licensure;
- graduates have achieved clearly outlined learning goals and are prepared for professional practice;
- deans, administrators, and faculty ensure that their program is comparable with national standards and they follow their own stated mission and goals;
- all health and safety concerns have been addressed; and
- veterinary medicine is being advanced through the curriculum
AVMA Accredited Online Veterinary Technician Programs
Just because a university hasn’t been accredited by the AVMA, doesn’t mean that you can’t aquire a valid license or certification for employment. There are currently AVMA accredited veterinary technician programs. For a list of veterinary technician programs that have been accredited by the AVMA, you can visit their website. There is also a list of institutions that have applied for accreditation, but have not yet received it. You can view that list here. As of April 2013, the following schools have been accredited for online veterinary technician programs:
- Blue Ridge Community College
- Cedar Valley College
- Jefferson State Community College
- Moraine Park Technical College
- Penn Foster College
- Purdue University
- St. Petersburg College
- San Juan College