Vet Tech Training!
Find and get information on the vet tech programs that are right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Accredited veterinary technician schools in the United States receive their accreditation from The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). The AVMA represents more than 80,000 veterinary professionals. The AVMA is responsible for accrediting campus based vet tech training as well as accredited online veterinary technician programs. When selecting a school for your new veterinary career, check to see if it has been accredited by the AVMA.
How AVMA Accreditation Works
The AVMA sets the standards of quality for veterinary technician schools across the U.S. To become accredited, a school voluntarily submits to a review of their training program and operations by the AVMA. Once the AVMA determines that the school meets all the necessary standards, they receive the stamp of approval, or “accreditation.” AVMA online accredited veterinary technician schools have also been through this review process. The standards set by AVMA for veterinary technician schools includes:
- Students will gain enough competence in their practice to enter into the workplace and be prepared for licensure, certification, and/or licensure;
- Deans, administrators, and faculty ensure that their program is comparable with national standards and they follow their own stated mission and goals;
- Graduates are prepared for professional practice by achieving clearly outlined learning goals;
- All safety and health concerns have been addressed; and
- Veterinary medicine is being advanced through the school’s curriculum
Online Accredited Veterinary Technician Schools
Just because a university hasn’t been accredited by the AVMA, doesn’t mean that you can’t aquire a valid license or certification for employment. There are currently 209 AVMA accredited veterinary technician schools in the United States. For a complete list of accredited veterinary technician schools, visit the AVMA website. There is also a list of schools that have applied for accreditation, but have not yet been approved. You can also view that list here. As of April 2013, the following schools have been accredited for online veterinary technician programs:
- Blue Ridge Community College
- Cedar Valley College
- Jefferson State Community College
- Moraine Park Technical College
- Penn Foster College
- Purdue University
- St. Petersburg College
- San Juan College